Support the tube workers’ 48-hour strike
June 9, 2009
Since March this year, RMT (tube workers’ union) has been initiating an industrial action campaign for decent pay, against job cuts, and to stop management persecuting staff and breaking their own policies.
They will be holding a 48-hour strike from 7pm on Tues 9 June to 7pm on Thurs 11 June.
In their latest statement (9 June 2009, noon) they state:
“We understand that LUL management are claiming that the cases of two sacked Victoria Line drivers are the only outstanding issues in this dispute.
“That is straightforwardly untrue.
“If LUL were to reinstate these drivers, it may help resolve the separate dispute on the Victoria Line, but the dispute involving all our members on London Underground is about jobs, pay and justice for all workers, and since management offered nothing at yesterday’s talks, all these issues remain unresolved.”
Following a meeting last Thursday in Finsbury Park, the Strike Support Group has drawn up a list of suggested activities that comrades, and their groups, can do to support the strike.
Could all supporters please …
1. tell Tube station staff that you support the strike
2. wear and distribute ‘support the Tube/TfL strike’ stickers
3. distribute leaflets to friends, workmates, Tube passengers, neighbours …
4. attend picket lines on Tuesday evening, and all day Wednesday and Thursday
5. invite RMT speakers to meetings of your union branch, trades council or other organisation
6. regularly check these websites:
– RMT London Calling (aimed at RMT members in London Transport region)
– Support the Tube Strikes (the new website for supporters)
7. post a message of support on the RMT London Calling site
8. email anything you think could usefully be included on the websites to email@example.com
9. include articles about the strike in any publications/websites you are involved with
10. write letters to the Evening Standard, the Metro, London Lite and the London Paper outlining why you support the strike – look out for online polls and discussions about the strike – take part and circulate details to others who will support them.
Picket Locations and times:
(As confirmed….more to follow)
From 7pm Tuesday until 7pm Thursday
Lillie Bridge Depot, Near West Brompton Station
Finsbury Park Station
Northumberland Park Depot
Ash House Depot
Kings Cross Station
Liverpool Street Station
Wed and Thurs
6-7.30am Kings Building, Smith Square
8-10:30am 55 Broadway and Albany House, St James’s Park tube station; Windsor House, Victoria St; Templar House, Holborn
Tags: workplace organising